smear the dear
No, no, no. It's "Fear the Deer" not "Smear the Queer Deer."

The Atlanta Hawks: I was on my way home from my pickup league when BadDave called. I hadn't gotten a chance to watch any of the Bucks-Hawks game yet -- all hail the wonders of DVR! -- so I had no idea what was had happened. I correctly figured I was in for an update. BadDave said: "They are who we though they were."

I knew immediately Atlanta had lost.

All season, I've been (ahem) very vocal in my disbelief in the Hawks. I never denied the Dirty Birds were playing well in general or that -- by their relatively low standards -- they were having a standout year. But in the final analysis, the Hawks are made up of some good to very good players. None are great, several are average at best, and a few might struggle to make a roster outside of Atlanta (coughMarioWestcough). Good team, solid team, a team that earned the third-best record in a conference that -- let's be honest -- is kind of weak after the top two seeds.

And now here they are, teetering on the brink of elimination in the first round of the NBA playoffs against a team that is missing its best player (by the numbers). The only think that's keeping me from dancing a jig and singing "I toldja so, I toldja so, I toldja so!" is my belief that Atlanta can still come back and win this series...even if that only postpones their eventual elimination by one postseason round.

At any rate, how 'bout them Bucks? As AnacondaHL said, the Deer have been Feared.

This series in general and this game in particular are perfect examples of why you have to beware of any team coached by Scott Skiles...until his players turn on him anyway. When he was in the NBA, Skiles was scrappy tough, and that's how his teams play. They get after it on defense, they never lose confidence, and they don't give up. A Skiles team doesn't always play well -- truthfully, he's never gotten the opportunity to coach a really, really talented squad -- but they almost always play hard.

Playing hard wins a lot of games that maybe should be won.

skiles headpalm
Skiles headpalms even when he's winning.
That's how hard core the dude is.

Case in point, an 18-footer by Josh Smith put the Atlanteans ahead 82-73 with 4:09 left. Considering the talent disparity between the Hawks and the Bogut-less Bucks, that lead should have been more than enough, especially considering the Dirty Birds were playing at home.

Instead, the Bucks went on a 14-0 run.

During that stretch, the Hawks missed seven straight shots. Here's a summary of their offensive fail: Missed layup by Josh Smith; missed layup by Jamal Crawford; Surrendered an offensive board to Ersan Ilyasova after Brandon Jennings missed a foul shot, leading to two freebies for John Salmons; turnover / offensive foul by Joe Smith (his sixth foul); missed three-pointer by Smith; offensive rebound by Al Horford; missed 7-footer by Horford; missed 17-footer by Crawford; offensive rebound by Horford; missed 6-footer by Crawford (blocked by Salmons); missed 15-footer by Crawford.

Horford extended the drama by banking in a crap three-pointer with 10 seconds left, but it didn't change the outcome: A 91-87 home loss to a severely weakened team.

Said Crawford: "This is incredible. We had the game won. It just slipped away from us."

Added Johnson: "It was a terrible loss. It was embarrassing."

Joe Johnson: His line was bad enough by itself to earn him a WotN entry -- only 13 points on 6-for-16 shooting (0-for-3 on triples), one measely trip to the line, a co-game-worst 4 turnovers and his first foul out of the year. And let's talk about foul number six. The Hawks were still up 82-81 when Kurt Thomas -- only the oldest player in the game -- suckered Joe Cool into a charge. Maybe Atlanta still would have lost with Johnson on the floor...or maybe not. But spending the last two-plus minutes of "Winning Time" without your best player never helps.

Jamal Crawford: One day after winning the NBA's Sixth Man of the Year award, Crawford came off the bench and submitted a performance that should have gotten him benched. It took Jamal 18 field goal attempts to score 11 points -- he missed 14 of those shots, including three of his four attempts from downtown -- and he finished with more combined fouls and turnovers (7) than rebounds and assists (4). The Hawks had several stinky performances, but Crawford's was the stinkiest. I mean, it smelled like Bigfoot's dick.

deron double face palm
Even the self-proclaimed best point guard in the
league needs to double-facepalm now and then.

The Utah Jazz: Whew! It looks like the Nuggets are one big, happy family again. And thanks to this newfound and completely platonic case of group man love, Denver managed to snap an eight-game losing streak when facing playoff elimination...which just so happened to be the longest such streak in NBA history.

Despite the loss of Nene -- with five minutes left in the first half, Carlos Boozer's left leg banged up against Nene's left knee -- the Nuggets had six players in double figures, including J.R. Smith (17 points, 4-for-5 from downtown) and Chris Anderson (10 points, 7 rebounds) off the bench.

Said Jazz coach Jerry Sloan: "They were a lot more alive, they went after the ball a little harder than we did. The players off the bench gave them a big lift. Their bench people killed us."

Denver managed to run away from Utah thanks to hot shooting from the field (50+ percent) and more importantly from beyond the arc (nearly 53 percent). Meanwhile, the Jazz didn't get nearly enough help from C.J. Miles (4-for-10, 3 turnovers, 5 fouls), Wesley Matthews (4-for-10, 1-for-5 from downtown), or Kyle Korver (zero points, 0-for-6 from the field, 0-for-2 on threes).

Deron Williams: From the AP recap:

[Deron Williams] declared after shootaround that he was the best point guard in the NBA right now.

The Nuggets won't disagree.

After watching him average 27.6 points and 12.0 assists over the first four games of the series, the Nuggets put Billups on Williams from the start instead of Afflalo.

Williams said nothing would change no matter who was guarding him, and he was right, getting 34 points and 10 assists before fouling out in the final minute. He became the first player in NBA history to register 20 or more points and double-digit assists in five games to begin a playoff series.

"We played good defense on him," Dantley insisted, "but he's just a great basketball player."
Did Deron really say that? Yes. Yes, he did:

"I feel I was the best point guard in the league for a while," said Williams, when asked by FanHouse during a media session after Wednesday's shootaround at the Pepsi Center if he's the NBA's top point guard. "I think I'm the best point guard in the league. No reason. I just think I'm the best."

Williams, who averaged 18.7 points and 10.5 assists during the regular season while making his first All-Star Game, has thought that for a while. He was asked who the second-best point guard is in the NBA.

"CP," said Williams, referring to New Orleans' Chris Paul, who was taken No. 4 in the 2005 draft while Williams went No. 3, with Paul getting off to a quicker NBA start. "Just like he probably thinks he's the best and I'm No. 2."

So who's the bronze medalist in this point-guard derby?

"Steve Nash," Williams said. "You got to argue him, what he's doing at this age (36) is crazy. I felt he's been the best point guard for the first probably three or four years that I was in the league."
While I'm not necessarily disagreeing with Williams, his proclamation couldn't help but remind me of similar words from Basketbawful Hall of Shame candidate Stephon Marbury circa 2005:

"Don't get me wrong -- I love Jason Kidd. He's a great point guard," Marbury said. "(But) how am I comparing myself to him when I think I'm the best point guard to play basketball? That doesn't make any sense. I mean, how can I sit here and compare myself to somebody if I already think I'm the best?

"I'm telling you what it is: I know I'm the best point guard in the NBA. I don't need anybody else to tell me that. When I go on the basketball court, if I think about what you're all saying, I'll lose my mind."
Of course, Starbury lost his mind anyway. But wait, here's some more:

"Me and Jason Kidd are two different players," Marbury said. "The way you see basketball, and the way I see it, it's not the same thing. You can't compare both of us. We don't play anything alike. We're totally different. You may feel he's better, there's another person that feels different."

...

But Kidd has played in 73 playoff games and seven All-Star Games. Marbury has appeared in 18 playoff games and two All-Star Games. And in current All-Star voting, Marbury is sixth among Eastern Conference guards with 151,749 votes as of yesterday. Kidd is fifth with 306,359.

"I don't care about (the voting)," Marbury said. "That stuff doesn't matter to me."

He admitted that when he was younger, playing in the All-Star Game was important to him. And he did say that "playing in the All-Star Game is always fun, because you're recognized as being one of the elite players." But he won't be disappointed if he's not among the All-Stars Feb. 20 in Denver.

"As long as I'm playing come April, (trying to) win the championship, that's the most important thing," he said.
You know where Steph was in April of 2005? Wrapping up his season on a 33-win Knicks team. And, uh, we all know how things went from there.

I'm just saying: Declaring openly that he's the best PG in the league is kind of like walking a mile in Starbury's shoes...and I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Carmelo Anthony: According to the AP recap: "The Nuggets had lost eight straight elimination games, six since Anthony joined the team in 2003." It's probably too early to tell, but could 'Melo be Tracy McGrady 2.0? Yes, I know he's gotten out of the first round of the playoffs, but...

Dwight Howard: Pumaman just can't keep his mouth shut. Case in point:

Even on a day off, Dwight Howard can antagonize officials enough to draw a penalty.

The Orlando Magic center was fined $35,000 by the NBA on Wednesday for criticizing officials on his blog, the second time this season he's been penalized for posting such comments.

Howard was in chronic foul trouble and constantly complaining about officiating in the Magic's series sweep over Charlotte. He fouled out in the last two games, played only 105 minutes and committed 22 fouls in four games.

"I'm not looking to say anything to get myself in trouble with the league, but I just don't see other star players getting called for fouls the way I get them," Howard posted on his blog. "No star player in the league is outta games the way I am."

...

Coach Stan Van Gundy and forward Matt Barnes were fined $35,000 each last week for criticizing officials and publicly questioning their calls on Howard. Orlando's All-Star center also was fined $15,000 in November for similar comments on his blog, although those were light compared to his latest post.

"I mean, it was almost comical at times how I was getting fouls called on me," Howard wrote. "There was nothing I could do [out] there and I felt like I couldn't even move without getting that whistle blown on me."
Seriously, Dwight, just shut up and play. Better yet...SHUT UP AND JAM!! GAIDEN!!

Lacktion report: And now, chris presents a very special lacktion report (pro tip: skip to the Jazz-Nuggets entry for the specialness).

Bucks-Hawks: As the deer celebrated a rare road win in Georgia's capital, Dan Gadzuric did his best to live up to the franchise's general mediocrity over the years, countering two field goals and a board in 11:01 with five fouls and a giveaway for a 6:5 Voskuhl.

Jazz-Nuggets: 56 seconds was all it took to get FOUR folks plugged into the NES tonight in a MARIO PARTY -- Sundiata Gaines, Othyus Jeffers, and Kosta Koufos for the Jazz, and Malik Allen the celebrant for Denver!!! Amazingly, Jeffers and Koufos went non-lacktive by managing to score boards in their mini-stints.

Labels: , ,

33 Comments:
Anonymous Stockton said...
Deron IS the best PG in the league now, followed very very close by Nash. Sorry, CP3 doesn't count, since he's been on the enfermary most of the season. And don't come with that "when healthy, he is the best..."; being healhy IS part of being a great player. Of course part of DW's success is due to old man Sloan, who refused to start him when he arrived in Utah in his rookie year. Not only he learned the system, but also learned (hopefully) that life is hard, and you need to PROVE YOURSELF before starting to trash talk.

Blogger Cortez said...
"There was nothing I could do [out] there and I felt like I couldn't even move without getting that whistle blown on me."

Ummm, that's because...

YOU'RE COMMITTING A LOT OF FOULS!

"Here's a summary of their offensive fail: Missed layup by Josh Smith; missed layup by Jamal Crawford"

At my pickup league, my team was losing by 1 point and I got the ball in the high post. I signaled to the passer to cut for a hand-off pass to the basket. When my defender tried to jump the pass to quickly pivoted the other way and drove uncontested to the basket. With no one within 6 feet of breathing on me, I then proceeded to bonk the layup on the bottom of the rim to my simultaneous dismay and amusement.

Later while watching "highlights", I saw that Josh Smith and Jamal Crawford had done the essentially same thing and immediately felt a bit better about blowing the game.

Then I realized that I was basing my feelings on the feats of Jamal Crawford and Josh Smith.

Needless to say, I felt worse than before.

Anonymous Hellshocked said...
The Hawks biggest problems are the fact they have no point guard - Mike Bibby doesn't count since he is simply as a standstill three point shooter - and a poor coach. whose idea of offense consists almost entirely of clear outs for Joe Johnson, Jamal Crawford and Josh Smith with the occasional pick and roll featuring Al Horford. Think Mike Brown except Atlanta doesn't have Lebron and doesn't play much defense.

With a real point guard and coach the Hawks could be deadly on the break and decent on the half court. They have weapons they just aren't able to maximize their effectiveness. In their current form though, a tough, disciplined squad who rebounds and rotates well can discombobulate their offense unless Joe Johnson goes off.

As far as the Bucks go, is it me or has Skiles mellowed out a bit? There hasn't been much grumbling from players in Milwakee, he hasn't sat any guys down for extended periods of time to prove a point, he has let Jennings run the free from day one even though he has made tons of mistakes and plays no D and hasn't done anything too crazy with the lineup (like starting Chris Duhon). He seems to get progressively mellower with each new coaching job and if he can keep that in check he could have found a home for a while in Milwakee.

Blogger Marc said...
Why "king crab" is a MAJOR douche

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjXQCT47EAc&feature=youtu.be

Blogger AnacondaHL said...
Hellshocked: An analogy - Atlanta is to SFs as Minnesota is to PGs.

Blogger Basketbawful said...
At my pickup league, my team was losing by 1 point and I got the ball in the high post. I signaled to the passer to cut for a hand-off pass to the basket. When my defender tried to jump the pass to quickly pivoted the other way and drove uncontested to the basket. With no one within 6 feet of breathing on me, I then proceeded to bonk the layup on the bottom of the rim to my simultaneous dismay and amusement.

Later while watching "highlights", I saw that Josh Smith and Jamal Crawford had done the essentially same thing and immediately felt a bit better about blowing the game.

Then I realized that I was basing my feelings on the feats of Jamal Crawford and Josh Smith.

Needless to say, I felt worse than before.


On Monday night, EvilTed taped one of our pickup games. There was a sequence in which I (in my mind) flew by my defender for an easy layup. I bonked the layup, but I (again, in my mind) ripped down the offensive board and went back up strong for the follow up....

...then I saw that sequence on film...

...I have never felt so white and unathletic. Everyone in the league looked like they were playing basketball underwater.

And to answer anybody else's question should it come up: No, I will NOT be posting this video on Basketbawful. Even tho' it probably deserves to be posted.

Anonymous Axe Head said...
Once upon a time, Atlanta COULD have had Chris Paul, but passed on him. For Martell Webster. This has to become a 50-year curse.

What is all this talk I've heard about Joe Johnson getting a max deal? Is that really a possibility? A likelihood? Are there GMs out there that insane?

Blogger senormedia said...
Here, I'll break the ice with pickup video postings. This is a slow night at our over-40 Tuesday night pickup. Only enough for half court this night, and that's with a couple of our kids playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwtaccJ_c3E

Anonymous JustinS said...
About the Jazz/Nougats...

I don't know if I've ever seen a worse bench performance than the crapfest the Utah pineriders put on last night. Only one Jazz bench player even scored. AK47 was more effective than Korver. Just sad.

Anonymous Hellshocked said...
AnacondaHL:

Not unlike the Knicks a few years back whose entire roster seemed to be composed of guys between 6'6 and 6'8.

Axe Head:

Atlanta passed on Paul AND Deron for Marvin Williams. Their biggest need at the time, by the way, was a PG. Naturally, they drafted a tweener who turned out to be little more than an inconsistent roleplayer. If I'm not mistaken, they also signed Speedy Claxton that year to a huge contract. Which leads me to...

I can totally see NY panicking and giving Johnson the max. Or the Bulls. A lot of teams have been preaching "wait until the summer of '10" to their fanbase for the past two years, and most of them won't land Lebron, Wade or Bosh. Someone is going to ruin their cap space by overpaying for Johnson and then try to pass it off as a coup.

"He's versatile and can play 3 positions. He is a great defender and can create for himself and others. He fills a major need for us and we are very happy to welcome Joe Johnson into our family and looking forward to winning some games and competing for a championship." - Some GM a few months from now

Blogger Dan B. said...
Bawful -- Come on. If you share, I'll post video of me playing golf (and you can already find video of me bowling on my Youtube account). I would share bad basketball video, but I haven't played any pickup ball since I was in high school and still had a basketball goal in my driveway. Back then I was unfathomably bad. I'd like to think that now that I actually understand the game a little better, I'd actually be able to play something halfway resembling defense and make a couple buckets, but who knows.

Axe Head -- What is all this talk I've heard about Joe Johnson getting a max deal? Is that really a possibility? A likelihood? Are there GMs out there that insane?

In a word, yes. Many NBA GMs are just awful at their job. Look at all the ridiculous contracts out there right now. Joe Johnson at a max deal is a steal compared to Eddy Curry's worthless contract, for example.

Blogger Dan B. said...
Another thought that Bawful's comment stirred in my head... What WOULD it look like if NBA players tried to play basketball underwater?

Blogger Unknown said...
I'm sure underwater basketball would be entertaining. But Eddy Curry would drown.

Blogger Dan B. said...
Chris -- You make it sound like that's a bad thing.

Blogger chris said...
Dan B.: Remember, this is the Association in which a rule had to be created to save GMs from themselves (the Ted Stepien Rule, which prevented the Lakers from penciling in any Crabs' lottery draft pick as theirs for the next two decades after Worthy).

BTW, if Association ball was played underwater...well...it'd probably resemble a slowed-down 1970s highlight video, complete with the same awful chroma-key stuttering!!!!

CAPTCHA: "wayst," i.e. "Oliver Miller is definitely famous for his wayst measurements."

Anonymous Sorbo said...
Senormedia: Sweet no-look-hook shot. Reminds of watching Gadzurick's play last night, except your no-look-hook shot went in. What makes these pick up games fun to watch is the utter lack of defense and absence of athleticism.

Blogger Dooj said...
Eddy Curry wouldn't down. Fat floats!

Anonymous AK Dave said...
1) Basketball in the water = Water Polo. And yes, Eddie Curry, and probably most people reading this blog, would drown if they tried to play it seriously. It's the only sport I know of where the goalie is in real danger of getting knocked the fuck out every time someone takes a shot on net.

2) Alex Ovechkin probably wishes that the year of 2010 never happened. If Sid Crosby's Pens win the cup, he might need to go on suicide watch.

3) Ever since Joe Johnson bitched and moaned and got traded away from PHX (as certain players are wont to do), I've enjoyed watching him and his team fail. GO BUCKS! (makes me feel like I'm back in college saying that...)

4) Brandon Jennings: badass. I hope even more kids go to Europe out of high school, because a) they deserve to get PAID for their work, and the NCAA is legalized slavery, and b) it's clear now that the European game can prepare a young player for the NBA. The kid may run his mouth too much and yeah he's immature, but he's not even old enough to buy beer, and he's tearing it up in the playoffs. Way to go, young man.

Blogger Jon-Michael said...
I was at the Nuggets/Jazz game last night. It should be noted that Deron Williams, who fouled out of the game with about a minute to go, did not commit his first foul until the 3 minute mark of the 3 QUARTER! That means he committed six fouls in 14 minutes. Epic Fail.

The Jazz went into the penalty at the 9:51 mark of the fourth quarter as well. It was clear the Nuggets were beating them up and they lost their cool.

Anonymous AK Dave said...
Eddy Curry wouldn't down. Fat floats!

...

Touche.

Blogger Basketbawful said...
Bawful -- Come on. If you share, I'll post video of me playing golf (and you can already find video of me bowling on my Youtube account).

I'll at least consider it, but we'd have to do some editing, because ET set it up to tape one end of the court...so half of the 30 minute video is an empty half court and losts of squeaking, complaining, etc.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Just to show GMs aren't the only folks afflicted with the stupid, a Gol_en State fan I know is convinced they would be better if only they had Jamal Crawful back.

The underwater jumpshot: definition of impossible.

Blogger Dan B. said...
Bawful -- It's not like we need to see the entire video. A brief "highlights" clip would be awesome enough, right?

Blogger chris said...
Dan B.: IDEA: A video comparison between the Null-Star Game and Bawful's pickup match!

Blogger Caleb Smith said...
@Stockton - If you want to say CP is out of the conversation right now because he was hurt for most of the year, okay fine... but I'm going to say it anyway - when healthy he's BY FAR the best PG in the league and as good as D-Will is the dude isn't really close. I personally don't really buy the "staying healthy is part of being great" thing... perhaps with the exception of players who are chronically injured.

D-Will = Great player, among the best at his position.

CP = Transcendent, once in a generation type player, among the best at any position.

Blogger Basketbawful said...
CP = Transcendent, once in a generation type player, among the best at any position.

Okay, maybe it's just me, but I don't really see it this way.

CP3 has had two truly outstanding seasons (2007-08 and 2008-09). However...

...his body of work is a little incomplete for my tastes. His defense isn't great. People -- although they are people I hate -- have documented in detail the fact that Paul gets credit for an alarming number of assists that he shouldn't. He hasn't truly developed into a consistent shooting threat, although he managed to get over 40 percent in threes in half a season this year.

Then there's the dirty little fact that Darren Collison managed to have several CP3-type games in relief when Paul was injured. Seriously, check out Collison's February splits...his numbers look almost spot-on with Paul's, minus a couple assists.

CP3 is a fantastic PG, one of the best in the league. But honestly, I've watched quite a few of his games and I don't see the "transcendent, once-in-a-generation" stuff. He's had some games and stretches of games like like that, but to me, that description fits the Birds, Magics, Jordans, LeBrons, etc.

Blogger Basketbawful said...
What is all this talk I've heard about Joe Johnson getting a max deal? Is that really a possibility? A likelihood? Are there GMs out there that insane?

It's going to happen. Trust me, it's going to happen. Here are my scenarios: Either 1) the Hawks give him max money out of the fear of losing him and end up stuck with an above average team that can't truly contend for the next 4-5 years or 2) a team like Chicago or New York will panic and give him max money because they couldn't sign LeBron/Wade/Bosh.

Blogger chris said...
Bawful: Or #3, Sacramento uses their cap space to give him a Charlie Villanueva-like contract, with the accordant decrease in production.

Right?

Blogger Caleb Smith said...
"His defense isn't great."

His man defense is more than adequate for a guy his size. A Hornets blog I read sometimes did a breakdown last season of CP's defense using the available defensive stats and he came out looking quite good. When you consider his work getting steals and disrupting passing lanes... its hard not to consider his defensive value to be fairly high.

"People -- although they are people I hate -- have documented in detail the fact that Paul gets credit for an alarming number of assists that he shouldn't."

Actually its more like most of the elite PGs in the game get more assists credited than they should... Paul, Williams, Nash... its all those guys and all basically at the same rate.

"He hasn't truly developed into a consistent shooting threat, although he managed to get over 40 percent in threes in half a season this year."

I'm a little flabbergasted at this. His mid-range J is one of the best in the league... I say that from simply watching him play and having studied the numbers. I believe last year he had the second best FG% in the league on mid-range jumpshots... and its a big part of his offensive arsenal. His outside game has gotten better every year he has been in the league. This year he was deadly from beyond the arc, though admittedly it was a smaller sample size.

"Then there's the dirty little fact that Darren Collison managed to have several CP3-type games in relief when Paul was injured. Seriously, check out Collison's February splits...his numbers look almost spot-on with Paul's, minus a couple assists."

Not really. Collison played really well, no doubt.. for a rookie he was playing lights out ball and it was great to watch, but it wasn't close to what CP does. If you look closer you'll see Collison turned the ball over a ton (CP's ability to avoid mistakes is one of the most important and most unique parts of his game, and one of the most overlookd), he didn't get the steals or the rebounds, and the scoring efficiency was not at Paul's level. If you look at basic ppg/apg.. then yeah the numbers look pretty similiar, but you've got to dig a bit deeper than that.

"But honestly, I've watched quite a few of his games and I don't see the "transcendent, once-in-a-generation" stuff. He's had some games and stretches of games like like that, but to me, that description fits the Birds, Magics, Jordans, LeBrons, etc."

Well... I say that for two reasons. One, the numbers certainly back it up. Pretty much all the advanced metrics say CP is the only guy who has been within shouting distance of Lebron the past few years. I know you aren't the biggest numbers guy, but that has to mean something to you right?

The other reason? I've watched most of every game of his I've been able to.. and transcendent, once in a generation player is what I see... but that's just me.

Sorry for the super long post.

Blogger senormedia said...
Oh, the shot's not me - that's my Doc, Dana. I did make the pass, though.

I do have hours of tape of the guys when we were younger playing on the 9 ft goal in the driveway - I'll have to go through and edit up some Bawful "highlights."

Blogger Basketbawful said...
Caleb Smith -- Never be sorry about a long post. I mean, we're here to talk basketball, right?

You make valid points about Paul, and all I can say is that, for whatever reason, I'm not as enraptured by him as some people seem to be. There's something I can't put my finger on that just...makes me resistant to him. I mean, I really enjoy watching him, I think he's one of today's greats when he's playing. But for whatever reason, he doesn't wow me the same way other all-timer/once-in-a-generation players have, going back to the early 80s.

Maybe it's just a personal preference?

Anonymous AdriĆ  said...
Senormedia, I think the key is the playcalling, tapping the waist for the "pickup's-special". Awesome :D


Speaking of something else, I've never seen Joe Johnson like an all-star. I think he plays well, and like the good player he is, sometimes he'll convert the winning shot and all that, but I seriously think that he lacks in "dominating the game", or maybe being more egotastic, if you prefer it.

For example, players with his "attitude" (if playing like a fearful rabbit could be called attitude) in an All-Star Game usually won't be repeating the following year, although he's always there due to be playing in the Leastern C.

And finally, I think he doesn't have a move that he uses to rely on, a move to make himself ""unstoppable"", like most of his All-Star mates do (the fast shooting of Ray Ray, the clutch sense of Pierce, the one-handed dunk of Lejames Bron, the elbows of Nowitzky, Wade's crossover, even the handles and also clutch sense of Jamal Crawful, his freaking teammate, seem more special than Johnson's scoring!)

I could be way too wrong, and it could seem that I'm taking advantage of the Hawks-Bucks series, but I've been thinking that since the first All-Star game JJ played.

If someone can convince me to think different, I'm willing to do it.

In [pickup] ball we trust

Blogger Caleb Smith said...
Yeah I hear you... agree to disagree. Love the site.